In today’s blog, you will learn how to use the power of intention to manifest what you desire. Everything from relationships, to career to health can be improved by simply shifting your mindset and having the right attitude.
The information I will share with you today comes from the book, The Power Of Intention: Learning To Co-Create Your World Your Way by Dr. Wayne W. Dwyer. Dr. Dwyer, who passed a few years ago, was an internationally renowned author and speaker in the field of self-development and has been someone I’ve been learning from for many years.
I chose this topic today because I recently re-read his book and it re-inspired me and reminded me that our thoughts determine our actions and outcomes in life. It is a very simple concept but one that is not often easy to put into practice for various reasons. Therefore, I wanted to share with you some of the main concepts in the book so you can put them into practice and shift your life in a positive way and allowing you manifest all that you desire.
What Is Intention?
Dr. Dwyer defines intention as a “strong purpose or aim, accompanied by a determination to produce a desired result.” Think of an accomplished business person, or anyone who has manifested great things. If you speak with them they will say, they knew what they wanted, made a decision to go for it and didn’t let anything stand in their way of accomplishing their dreams. These people have a never-give-up kind of attitude and are super-achievers.
Does this sound like you? If so, then you’re already using the power of intention to your advantage. If this doesn’t sound like you, that’s ok! You don’t have to be a super-achiever, extrovert or someone who wants to take on the world to benefit from the power of intention. You may prefer the simple life and focus on surrounding yourself with things and people that make you feel happy.
Much research has been done to show that there is an existence of a higher, faster energy dimension, or field of intention, that can be tapped in to and used by everyone. For this research Dr. Dwyer references Lynne MacTaggart’s book, The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe. Although I have not yet personally read this book, I find it fascinating that this research has been done on the force of energy that surrounds us. It’s often something that many people don’t believe in because they can’t touch or see it but I, and many people, truly believe it’s there and it is a very powerful force.
Using the power of intention allows you to be, do and have anything your heart desires, as long as the intentions are pure and your desires don’t cause harm to others. All you need to do is align yourself with this power to activate intention. Sounds easier said than done doesn’t it? Somewhere along the line, many of us became disconnected to this energy.
We, as humans, have something that’s called the ego, which, according to Dr. Dwyer, is a construct about who and what we are. The ego has six different constructs that cause us to be and feel disconnected. These are:
- I am what I have. My possessions define me.
- I am what I do. My achievements define me.
- I am what other think of me. My reputation defines me.
- I am separate from everyone. My body defines me as alone.
- I am separate from all that’s missing in my life. My life space is disconnected from my desires.
- I am separate from God. My life depends on God’s assessment of my worthiness.
After reading these six definitions of the ego, which ones can you relate to? Probably all them! The thing is, you are not able to tap into the power of intention as long as the ego mind is in control. Therefore, it’s important to readjust these beliefs into recognizing that you are not any of these things.
None of your possessions define who you are as a person. They are just material things that in the grand scheme of things mean nothing.
What you do for work does not define who you are as a person. It’s just what you do for a living to pay your bills and enjoy your life. However, how often are you asked, “what do you do?” by someone at a dinner party? Why are we not asking, “what brings you joy?” “What intention do you have for your life?” These would be more appropriate questions to ask if you truly want to get to know someone.
How often have you held yourself back from doing something you really wanted to do for fear of what other people think? I know I have… far too often. But why? Why do you really care what other people think of you? They are not living your life. They have their own life to live. What you do is none of anyone’s business.
Too many people are so attached to their physical body and its appearance that they forget about the emotional and spiritual side of who they are. It also tends to make people feel like they are separate from others. The thing is we are all connected on an energetic and spiritual level. Think about how you feel when someone who’s in bad mood comes into the room. You will likely also begin to feel agitated. What about when someone comes into the room laughing, smiling and filled with joy and love? You will also likely begin to feel the same.
Have you ever thought that your desires are separate from your reality? That everything you desire is just a pipe dream? When you begin to learn more about and tap into the power of intention, you begin to realize that your dreams really can come true if they are really what you want.
Finally, we are not separate from God, the creator, the universe; whatever you choose to call the great spirit of energy. We are all part of that spirit and energy and your worthiness does not depend on God’s assessment of you. You are worthy because you are one with the great spirit, who is non-judgmental and unconditionally loving, and you can tap into that energy at any time.
Dr. Dwyer says there are four stages to activating your power of intention and that is the process of connecting with your natural self and letting go of your ego identification. These four stages are:
1) Discipline: You must train your body to do what your mind desires. This happens by staying disciplined and focused on taking care of your body, mind and soul with practice, doing regular exercise, embracing non-toxic habits, eating healthy foods, etc.
2) Wisdom: When combined with discipline, wisdom allows you to stay focused and remain patient as you align your thoughts, intellect and feelings with the work of your body.
3) Love. Once you get your body and mind working together in harmony, now you want to love what you do and do what you love. Connect to your creative energy and embracing the things that bring you joy.
4) Surrender. The final stage is to surrender to the power of intention and no longer allow your body and mind to run your life.
You can implement these concepts into your life a few different ways:
– The first is when you find yourself in a sour mood or state of anxiety, repeat the word intent or intention over and over as a reminder to be peaceful and calm and surrender your worries to the universal energy.
- Remind yourself every day that you have a life mission and a partner and support system that you can access anytime. You have the power to choose what state of mind to be in. Tap into that free will and spirit to help you release your fears and worries and know that you can change things anytime you choose.
- Each day, have an attitude of intent and act as if all that you desire is already in your life. Dr. Dwyer says that one of his “ten secrets for success and inner peace is to treat yourself as if you already are what you’d like to become.” What a great way to live!
The Seven Faces of Intention
In his book, The Power of Intention, Dr. Dwyer states that intention is something that we can feel, connect with, know and trust. It’s an inner awareness that we can feel but not necessity describe. This silent knowing of the power of intention can create wonderful experiences for yourself and everyone else in your life when you release ego and invite the power of intention to play an active role in your life.
Dr. Dwyer explains that there are seven faces of intention. These are:
- The Face Of Creativity – This is the creative expression of the power of intention that designed you, got you here and created an environment that’s comparable with your needs. The face of creativity allows you to create anything you desire. It’s part of you and originates in the power of your intention.
2) The Face Of Kindness – Choosing to be kind is a choice to have the power of intention in your life. Only kind energy can create, flourish and grow allowing you to feel happy and fulfilled. Anything hurtful or unkind never creates happiness, joy and love, only pain and suffering.
3) The Face Of Love – Dr. Dwyer says, “love is the prime moving power of the Universal Spirit of intent. The energy field of intention is pure love resulting in a nurturing and totally cooperative environment. Judgement, anger, hate, fear or prejudice won’t thrive here.” Love is one of the most highest vibrating energies and has the power to transform anything.
4) The Face Of Beauty – When you see beauty around you in everyone and everything you become in tune with the power of intention. Beautiful thoughts build a beautiful soul.
5) The Face Of Expansion – The power of intention manifests as an expression of expanding creativity, kindness, love and beauty. The power of intention is the power to expand and increase all aspects of your life. However, you must remember to cooperate with intention everywhere and allow this energy to express itself through you and for you and for everyone you come across in your life. Trust that beneficial results are the only possibilities and continue to do what you do because you love what you do and do what you love.
6) The Face of Unlimited Abundance – What this means is that there are no limits to your potential and what you can do and have in your life. All you must do is let go of limiting beliefs and trust that there are no limits and go for what you desire.
7) The Face Of Receptivity – This means that all of nature, intention, energy and spirit is waiting for you to call it into action when you stay receptive, recognize it’s there and stay open to receiving the abundance that comes to you.
You can implement the ideas of the seven faces of intention in your life by:
- Visualizing the power of intention. Allow this energy field to be clear in your mind and be receptive to what appears.
- Be reflective. Become a mirror and reflect what comes into your life without judgement or opinions. Focus on staying unattached to each person, place and thing that comes and goes in your life and go with the flow taking each opportunity as a chance to learn and grow.
- Expect beauty, kindness and love to come into your life. You can do this by deeply loving yourself, your surroundings and respecting all life.
- Stay in gratitude and appreciation. When you focus on gratitude and appreciation for everything you have in your life the energy of intention will respond to this appreciation in a positive way; helping to manifest more for you to be grateful for.
- Release all doubt. When you release all doubt, abundance can flourish and anything becomes possible. Know and really believe that you deserve abundance and more will flow to you.
Connecting To Intention
Anything you want to create for your life requires you to establish a relationship with Universal Energy, generating the same life-giving quality that brings everything into existence and continuously contemplate yourself as being surrounded by the conditions you want to produce.
Remember when you were young and you’d imagine yourself doing great things. Tap back into that. Close your eyes and imagine yourself doing and having all the things you desire to have right now. When you imagine yourself already having and doing the things you desire, it’s easier for you to take action towards accomplishing these things. Push your ego, and limiting beliefs aside and imagine yourself as the person you desire to be. See yourself and imagine what being that person feels, smells, sounds and tastes like; engage all of your senses in the process to help tap into the power of intention.
Everyday tap into the seven faces of intention and make them part of your life. Let’s review those now:
- Be Creative. Trust your own purpose and have an attitude of great intent in all thoughts and activities. A great way to give form to your intentions is to repeat mantras and write down your intentions. Some examples of intentions you may use are:
- My intention is for all of my activities to be directed by Universal energy or Spirit.
- My intention is to love what I do and do what I love.
- My intention is to trust in what comes to me release all judgements.
- My intention is to detach from my ego and tap into intention and divine energy.
- My intention is to do all I can to elevate the collective consciousness by staying deeply connected to the supreme power of intention.
2) Be Kind. To reconnect to intention, you must be on the same kindness wavelength as intention itself. This means you must make an effort to be kind to yourself and to other human beings and to all life forms including animals, plants and the earth as whole.
3) Be Love. Remember, love is cooperation rather than competition. Extend love to everyone, yourself, your loved ones, the people you don’t get along with and even the people who’ve caused you pain. The more you extend love the closer you come to being loved, which is is where manifestation flourishes.
4) Be Beauty. Begin to appreciate the beauty in everything. This means beauty on a deep spiritual level not just superficial.
5) Be Ever-Expansive. This means that to stay connected to intention it’s important that you continue to grow intellectually, emotionally and spiritually to identify with the universal mind.
6) Be Abundant. Remember, there is no scarcity is the universal world spirit and holding on to a scarcity mindset will hold you back. Therefore, shift to an abundance mindset by repeating to yourself over and over again that you have unlimited potential because you emanated from the inexhaustible supply of intention. As Emerson says, “the ancestor to every thought is action.” This means that you are what you think and your thoughts determine your actions.
7) Be Receptive. When you stay open and receptive to the universal mind of intention it will respond in whatever conception of itself you impress upon it. Trust that all will be taken care of and it will. Repeat the following mantras or intentions daily: I accept the guidance and assistance of the universe, I let go of my ego and I trust in this wised to move at it’s own peaceful pace.
To realize your desires, you must match them with your inner speech. You must stay focused on good reports and good results. Use your imagination to create your reality, believe you can have and do what your heart truly desires and release all doubt and ego mindset.
Obstacles To Connecting To Intention
Did you know that most of the time you are not living the life you desire because of your own thoughts and beliefs? That is why you must adjust and align your inner self talk to match that of intention.
Do you find yourself thinking about what’s missing in your life? Remember, what you focus on is what you will manifest. That means if yours always focusing on what you don’t have you will get more of that and push away all of your desires.
Here are some simple adjustments Dr. Dwyer suggests you can make in your thinking that will help you remove sone of the energetic obstacles holding you back from manifesting your desires.
Instead of thinking: “I don’t have enough money.”
Think instead: “I intend to attract unlimited abundance into my life.”
Instead of thinking: “My partner is grouchy and boring.”
Think instead: “I intend to focus my thoughts on what I love about my partner.”
Instead of thinking: “I’m not as attractive as I’d like to be.”
Think instead: “I’m perfect in the eyes of God/The Universe, a divine manifestation of the process of creation.”
Instead of thinking: “I don’t have enough energy and vitality.”
Think instead: “I’m a part of the ebb and flow of the limitless Source of all life.”
Remember, this isn’t about reciting affirmations that you aren’t connected to. It’s about matching your thoughts to what you intend to create. It’s like placing an order to the Universe; what you ask for you will get.
Do you ever find yourself thinking about the circumstances in your life in a negative way, rather than on the wonderful things that you have?
Here are some examples that Dr. Dwyer gives to help shift this mindset:
Instead of thinking: “I hate this place we’re living in; it gives me the creeps.”
Think instead: “I see our new home in my mind, and I intend to be living in it within six months.”
Instead of thinking: “When I see myself in the mirror I despise the fact that I’m nearsighted and out of shape.”
Think instead: “I’m placing this drawing of how I intend to look right here on my mirror.”
Instead of thinking: “I dislike the work I’m doing and the fact that I’m not appreciated.”
Think instead: “I’ll act upon my inner intuitive impulses to create the work or job of my dreams.”
Although it can be a hard truth, you are responsible for the circumstances in your life. You made certain choices and had certain thoughts that caused you to get there. So accept this as truth without any judgement or guilt and begin to realign your thoughts, choices and actions to what you want to create and you will realign with the power intention.
Do you ever find yourself focusing on the way things always have been and feeling helpless in your ability to change things going forward? This thought pattern is likely exactly why the past keeps repeating itself. Whenever you catch yourself focusing on what always has been make a shift and move your inner dialogue to what you intent to manifest.
Here are some examples:
Instead of thinking: “I’ve always been poor; I was raised on shortages and scarcity.”
Think instead: “I intent to attract wealth and prosperity in unlimited abundance.”
Instead of thinking: “We’ve always fought in this relationship.”
Think instead: “I’ll work at being peaceful and not allowing anyone to bring me down.”
Instead of thinking: “I can’t hep felling this way; it’s my nature. I’ve always been this way.”
Think instead: “I’m a divine creation, capable of thinking like my creator. I intend to substitute love and kindness for feeling inadequacy. It’s my choice.”
Remember, any thought that takes you backward is keeping you from manifesting that which you truly desire. Make a choice and commitment to get rid of any parts of you that keep you focused on what has always been and shift towards what you intent to manifest for your life.
Raising Your Energy Level
Every thought you have will either strengthen or weaken you. If you’re currently experiencing scarcity, anguish, depression, an absence of love, or any ability to attract what you desire, take a good hard look at how you’ve been attracting these circumstances into your life. Low energy is an attractor pattern.
Dr. Dwyer states that, “it shows up because you’ve sent for it, even if on a subconscious level.” However, the good news is you can change this by choose to raise your energy level by being conscious of your environment, and your thoughts. When you pay attention to how you contribute to your outcomes, you will possibly effect your results.
Here’s a few ways to raise your energy vibration and remove the barriers standing in your way of connecting to the power of intention.
1) Become conscious of your thoughts. Every thought you have impacts you in a negative or positive way. Shift your thoughts to be in alignment with intention and release negative thinking.
2) Embrace a daily meditation practice. This will allow you to tap into your imagination and deep desires. Take time to be silent and listen to your souls desires so you can stay focused on what you really want.
3) Stay away from low-energy substances. This includes alcohol, drugs, and dead processed foods. Instead focus on eating whole-living foods and drinking an abundance of clean water. Taking care of your body will also support the health of your mind and soul and raise your energy vibration.
4) Be aware of what you’re feeding your mind. The music you listen to, the books you read, the movies you watch can all impact your energy vibration. Feed your mind and soul with high-vibrational positive messages at all times.
5) Be aware of the energy levels of your home environment. Take a look around your home and note what you are looking at each day and where everything is placed. Use the practice of Feng Shui to help raise the energetic vibrations of your home.
6) Reduce exposure to the low-vibrational energy of social media and television. There is abundance of negative things online and on TV. By being conscious of the things you choose to look at will help shift your energy vibrations.
7) Surround yourself with positive people. You can raise your energy levels by being in the presence of others who resonate closely with spiritual consciousness. Take a look at the people in your life. How do they make you feel? Choose to spend time with people who bring you joy and reduce, or eliminate, the time spent with those who don’t.
8) Extend acts of kindness without expecting anything in return. Any act of kindness without expecting anything in return will help to raise your vibrational energy. Perhaps you can help someone in need or give an anonymous donation to those less fortunate. Choose to be kind every day and your energy vibration will grow.
9) Be specific when you affirm your intentions. Place your affirmations everywhere so you can see them and recite them as often as you can and be sure to affirm exactly what you desire. This will help to raise your energy and create your intended desires.
10) Hold thoughts of forgiveness in your mind. Revenge, anger and hatred are low energy emotions that prevent you from manifesting your intentions. A simple thought of forgiveness, without taking any action, can raise your vibration and bring you closer to your intentions.
Self-Importance & Releasing The Ego
Dr. Dwyer refers to a quote by Carlos Castaneda in The Fire from Within, which states, “Self-importance is man’s greatest enemy. What weakens him is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of his fellow man. Self-importance requires that one spend most of one’s life offended by something or someone.” This feeling of self-importance is a major reason why many are unable to connect to the power of intention.
Basically, the feelings of self-importance are those that make you feel special, or better than others. This sense of self as a focal point continues the illusion that you are your body and completely separate from others. The sense of being separate, keeps you competing rather than cooperating with and encouraging others.
This sense of self-importance is connected to the ego, which is an idea of who you are that you carry around with you. To connect to the energy of intent and manifest your desires here are some ways you can separate yourself and stop identifying with your ego.
- Stop being offended. The behaviours of others is none of your business. Do your best to relate attachment to the actions of others, remember to love, forgive and focus on appreciating life.
2) Let go of your need to win. The concept if winners and losers is purely ego and this tireless pursuit of winning takes you away from the connection with spirit and intention. This doesn’t mean you should never have fun and strive to be your best; it just means to release the win at all cost attitude in your mind. Support others and cheer them on in their victories as well as your own.
3) Let go of your need to be right. I once heard the saying, “you can be happy or you can be right but you can’t be both.” When you let go of your need to be right you strengthen your connection with intention.
4) Let go of your need to be superior. Rather than focusing on being better than everyone else, focus on being better than you used to be. You can strive to be a better, kinder more loving person who serves others in a positive way an release the desire to be the best.
5) Let go of your need to have more. The ego is never satisfied. No matter how much you accomplish or acquire the ego will always want more. Stay in the present moment, be happy with what you have and where you are now and trust in the power of intention to help you grow and move to the next phase of your life.
6) Let go of identifying yourself on the basis of your achievements. All of your achievements are because of the power of intention and your connection to universal spirit energy. Release attachments to your achievements, stay connected to intention and you will notice that you’re more free to achieve and more will show up for you.
7) Let go of your reputation. Remember, you have no control over what others think of you. What you do have control over is your own thoughts and actions. So stay connected to intention listen to your heart and live your life on purpose and on your own terms.
Here are some ways Dr. Dwyer suggests for overcoming obstacle and staying connected to the power of intention:
- Monitor your inner dialogue. Focus your thoughts on what you want and who are want to be rather than what is missing from your life or who you aren’t in this moment.
- Lighten moments of doubt and depression. Be aware of those dark moment and reconnect to the light. Stay focused on the positive and allow the negative to flow through you.
- Be aware of low energy. Remember, your thoughts and feelings have a frequency. Do your best in each moment to remain connected to the high vibration of love, joy and intention.
- Get your ego in check. Be sure to let your ego know that you are in charge and that you will not succumb to its negative, self-serving thoughts.
- View obstacle as opportunities. This means staying in a state of trust, peace and detaching yourself from circumstances and seeing yourself as an observer rather than a victim.
The Impact On Others When Connected To Intention
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself…serve and thou shall be served.”
When you find yourself in alignment with the faces and power of intention, you will notice the great impact this newfound attitude and energy will have on others. You will begin to see in others what you see in yourself, just like a mirror. When this shift occurs other people will feel at peace and comforted in your presence and become loving accomplices to your connection with intention.
You will begin to notice that what you desire for others will come true for yourself. For example, if you give other love, you will receive love. If you wish others peace, you will have peace. If you wish for others to be happy and successful you will experience the same. As Dr. Dwyer says, “You’ll only give away what you have in your heart and attract what you’re giving away.” The more impact you have on others, the stronger your connection to the power of intention will be and vice versa.
When you treat others’ as the Divine beings that they are, want nothing, demand nothing from them and have no exception for them you will see this same kindness returned to you. However, the same goes in the opposite way. If you demand from them, insist they please and serve you, judge and see them as inferior to you, you will receive the same energy and treatment back. As you release the demands of your ego, you will develop a beautiful, high vibrational relationship with others.
It is important to see others as divine beings and treat them as such. Each person you encounter is also a spiritual being who deserves to be connected to the poser of intention and step int their greatness. Ultimately, how you view others is a direct projection of how you view yourself. If you see people as worthless, untrustworthy, lazy, etc. this is exactly the thoughts you have about yourself. Love yourself and you will love others. Treat yourself with respect and you will treat others with the same respect.
When you feel connected with the power of intention you will sense a major difference in how other people react to you. When your energy is vibrating at a high level, you will attract others who have the same energetic frequency. However, if your energy is low, you will attract others who are vibrating at that same low level. Therefore, stay focused on how you are showing up in the world so you attract great people into your life.
When you are in alignment and connected to intention, Dr. Dwyer states that your presence will:
- Instill calmness in others,
- Leave others feeling energized,
- Allow other to feel better about themselves,
- Allow others to feel fulfilled,
- Instill a sense of purpose in those you meet,
- Allow other to trust in authentic personal connection,
- Inspire others to greatness,
- Align others with beauty, and
- Install health rather than sickness.
Did you know that you have a great impact on the consciousness of all of humanity? The late Dr. Hawkins, in his book, The Eye of The I, suggests that its crucial for us to be aware of the significance of raising our own frequency of vibration to match the connection with intention, or Universal Source energy. He goes on to state that, “high-energy people counterbalance the negative effect on low-energy people.”
Here are some fascinating figures from Dr. Hawkins research that Dr. Dwyer references in his book:
- “One individual who lives and vibrates to the energy of optimism and a willingness to be non-judgemental of others will counterbalance the negativity of 90,000 individuals who calibrate at the lower weakening levels.”
– “One individual who lives and vibrates to the energy of pure love and reverence for all of life will counterbalance the negativity of 750,000 individuals who calibrate at the lower weakening levels.”
- “One individual who lives and vibrates to the energy of illumination, bliss and infinite peace will counterbalance the negativity of 10 million people who calibrate at the lower weakening levels (approximately 22 such sages are alive today).”
– “One individual who lives and vibrates to the energy of grace, pure spirit beyond the body, in a world of non duality or complete oneness, will counterbalance the negativity of 70 million people who calibrate at the lower weakening levels (approximately 10 such sages are alive today).”
I find this research fascinating and a great reminder that we are not alone on a island. Everything we do effects others in a massive way! It is now up to us to choose how we want to show up in the world and effect those around us and on a more global scale.
Dr. Hawkins says that at least 87 percent of humanity in living in the lower weakening frequencies and Napoleon Hill, in his book Outwitting The Devil, states that it’s more like 95 percent of people are living in the low vibrational frequency. That means we have a lot of work to do to to raise the vibration of humanity, as seen in the state of the world today. However, it starts with you. You can begin to shift your thoughts to positivity effect your own world, the people you are around and everyone else in the world at an unconscious level.
To make a great impact on yourself and others Dr. Dwyer suggests the following:
- Be aware that all of your relationships are Divine and deserve your utmost love, respect and attention. Want nothing but the best for others and the same will be returned to you.
- Always act in integrity and come from a place of pure love and high vibrational frequency. If you’re ever unsure how to react or act towards yourself or others, always come form a place of pure intentions.
- Keep track of judgements you have towards yourself and others and make a conscious effort to shift to compassionate thoughts and feelings.
- Want the best for yourself and others so strongly that you direct this level of energy outward and act from this level of high vibrational consciousness.
- Remember that even just thinking and feeling the connection with intention you’ll counterbalance the collective negativity of a minimum of 90,000 people. So, act like you have a responsibility to the entire human race to stay connected to intention because you do!
Mahatma Gandhi said, “we must be the change we want to see in the world.” When you stay connected to intention with every thought and action you will see a great difference in your own life and in the lives of others. So, get out there, raise your vibration, serve others, manifest your desires and transform your life.
Join me next week for part two of this topic. I hope you enjoyed and received value from this blog. Please visit the show notes page for The Rockin’ Wellness Podcast to listen to the audio version of this article www.rjowellness.com/podcast/episode-56.
Until next time my friends,
Keep rockin’ your wellness!